Dividing a word into different pieces so it can be pronounced
Listen carefully when learning vocabulary
1. There is one vowel (or diphthong) per syllable.
ἀ κη κό α μεν
2. A single consonant by itself (not a cluster) goes with the following vowel.
ἑ ω ρά κα μεν
3. Two consecutive vowels that do not form a diphthong are divided.
ἐ θε α σά με θα
4. A consonant cluster that can not be pronounced together is divided.
ἔμ προ σθεν
5. A consonant cluster that can be pronounced together goes with the following vowel
6. Double consonants are divided.
παρ ρη σί α
7. Compound words are divided where joined.