Course Syllabus
Course Script
Final Exam

5.5. Getting a Grip on Tasks

There are many concepts on how to get a good and secure grip on your tasks. There are a vast number of books, online courses and seminars on this topic. There are many ways to keep to-do lists and to-do lists and through the smartphone many, many good apps are available. But at the end of the day, everyone has to find out for themselves what works best for them.

One of the concepts that has received a lot of attention in recent years is “Getting Things Done (GTD) “.(20) The inventor of the concept has also written a book of the same name. The subtitle of the book is ‘Self-management for everyday life’ and already indicates that it is not an aloof concept for professionals.

David Allen talks about a five-step model for our workflows that are universal:

• Capture 
  • Work through 
  • Organize 
  • Review
  • Sync and corrections

In his opinion, it is better to separate these processes in the daily routine. The basic principle of Getting Things Done is based on these five steps and can be summarized as follows:

Regular Capture: Getting everything that is undone in some way out of your head and capturing it in a system outside of your head. A kind of collection box for tasks that you go through regularly. All elements of an input that consist of more than one activity are projects.

Deciding the next step: Decide about each input in a disciplined way, whether to let it into your life. Then define the next steps, that way you know them and what’s coming up in the future. Making decisions brings clarity, productivity, accountability and increased competence.

Regular review and completion: As soon as necessary activities have been decided, place the corresponding reminders in a system and regularly go through and complete the tasks.

Thus, the entry is done by collecting all the tasks in the inbox. Then the inbox is worked through with the following options:

• Junk
  • Do immediately what takes less than 2 minutes 
  • Delegate all that can be delegated
  • Record everything that takes longer than 2 minutes in an organisational system with a reminder.

There is a very good overview of Getting Things Done on Wikipedia at the following link:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getting_Things_Done

In the context of this course, GTD can only be briefly touched upon to whet the appetite for taking a closer look at it and putting it into practice. GTD is suitable for both task management and project management in the complexity typically encountered in the private sector and in everyday community life.

For GTD there are a lot of very good tools for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android. I personally work on the Mac and use the program Omnifocus, which is available for macOS and iOS. Since I have my smartphone with me everywhere, it’s really quick, for example, for me to enter tasks and ideas in Omnifocus in the inbox folder. Basically, GTD can be used with a wide variety of tools, but for me personally it only works electronically. On this website you can find an overview of GTD tools:

http://www.priacta.com/Articles/Comparison_of_GTD_Software.php

20 Davin Allen, How I Get Things Done. ISBN 978-3-492-24060-4