Syllabus
Communication/Cybernetics Course Script
Class Powerpoints
Homework Assignments
Final Exam
1 of 2

1.2 Power and Freedom

Words have two levels of effect. The first is the power that has already been mentioned. Ask yourself, why couldn’t I bring the world into existence? Our words are not even enough to make a care levitate. It all comes down to the level of power or authority that we hold. For example, if you go to your bank and ask the person at the counter to give you $100 and she knows you, she will grant you the corresponding wish, provided the money is in your account. You are authorized accordingly. At the same time, in the same bank, the same person will not give you money if you want to withdraw it from your friend’s account. The question you should ask yourself is: What makes my word powerful? 

The second level of effect is that of direction. Thus, a powerful word can save lives or destroy them. Words can liberate or imprison. Remember meaningful words in your life. Maybe you heard something positive and it freed you to accomplish things you couldn’t before. God addressing you with “You are loved” is such a powerful and releasing phrase. On the other hand, a word from an important person in your life can steal all your power. “You’ll never make it anyway.” Those words can stick with you for a lifetime. So the second question you should ask yourself is: What do my words do?

John 8:31 Then Jesus said to the Jews who had put their trust in Him: 

If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. 

The Jews could not understand Jesus’ word in this way and resisted. But Jesus offers his disciples a precious gift: Freedom. Words have the power to bind or set people free. As leaders, it is about learning how to use our words to set people free.